Aug 24, 2013

Forgiveness

I just watched an AMAZING movie.  I have to talk about it.  It was called The Impossible, and is about a family of 5 who were vacationing in Thailand when the 2004 tsunami hit.  The cinematography was incredible.  But more than that, it was amazing to see the generosity of people that were in the depths of despair.  Of course there were selfish people too, but the amount of kindness touched my very soul. 
I needed it so badly today.  I had one of those "HARD" days today.  I will spare you all the gory details, but it all came to a head this evening when I was in a crowded parking lot in my van with my 3 kids, and a woman hit me with her vehicle.  This was not an accident.  We were all bumper to bumper, and the woman did not want to let me in.  I was at a complete stop, and I told her to stop through my window.  She said, "no, I'm going".  I said, "please don't, you are going to hit my car!" at least 3 times.  She rolled up her window, and moved forward, and hit my car.  No joke.  It's absurd.  I am still in shock.   And then she fled the scene of the accident.  As I let the events of the day that led me up to that moment, unravel in my mind....I couldn't help but to feel overwhelmed with ANGER and BITTERNESS.  And all of that emotion focused into one thought.  How MUCH I hated this town that I lived in.  It was awful, to feel encompassed with ANGER.  When things get hard for me, I often come back to the thought of how much I hate living here, and what a trial it is for me.
Once I got home, tears streamed down my face, as I told my husband how angry and bitter I was.  I told him I needed to change my attitude, but that I didn't know how. I knew that I needed to forgive this woman in my heart.  But I didn't know how.  I was too wrapped up in my anger and pity, to see anything else.  Until I watched "The Impossible".  Watching the true generosity and love that a human soul can give in times of despair, rang through to my very core.  And simultaneously, Matthew 5:44 ran through my mind.  " But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;".
As I thought of this verse, and after watching the movie, I felt calm.  I felt peace.  I also knew in my heart, that I could forgive this woman.  When I saw the destruction and death that came to so many people in the tsunami, and all the challenges that people were going through, yet some people were still able to show kindness, I knew that the least I could do was forgive the woman for hitting my car.  At that moment I became aware at how ridiculously weak I am for letting those feelings of hate and anger creep into my soul, over a dented car.  Through God's love and the atonement of Jesus Christ, I know I can be made stronger and better. 
Tonight,  I will forgive this woman, and I will pray for her.  But more importantly, I will ask for forgiveness for harboring such intense feelings of bitterness and anger in my heart.  Shame on me.
Tonight, I choose to focus on the good in my life, and to relish the joy that my family brings to me.  I feel so lucky and blessed to have them in my life.  I'm telling you, if you are feeling sorry for yourself...go watch this movie!  It's kind of a life changer! :)

P.S.  Even though the movie is PG-13, it shows a little nudity (which I don't like at all, there was no point to it), also the movie is pretty slow...don't expect an action packed film or anything.  It's just the message that it sends.  Simply beautiful and heart warming.

XO,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment